Burglar can break through your front door in just nine seconds, Fairco warns
Burglars can break into most homes through the front door in nine seconds flat, Fairco owner Jim Toal told the Sunday Independent this week.
And criminals know the exact type of weak doors and fragile windows they can easily, and quietly, infiltrate with basic tools.
Mr Toal, who advises gardai and Neighbourhood Watch schemes on burglary prevention, says some criminals can break through front doors in “nine seconds flat, whether or not an alarm is fitted”.
As the fear of robbery continues to blight the country, security experts are calling on homeowners to invest in “physical security” before they spend thousands of euro on house alarms, CCTV cameras, burglar alarms and guard dogs to protect their properties.
Security firms say some families are spending up to €10,000 on perimeter surveillance amid fears of being burgled by a violent gang.
However, experts argue that hard lessons learned by neighbouring EU states have been ignored by the Irish Government.
After a spike in residential crime across Europe in the 1980s, most member states introduced a policy of physical security first.
They strengthened their buildings by introducing specific standards for sturdy robust doors, high-specification locks, laminated glass and strong fastenings on windows to stop burglars gaining entry.
Experts argue that the Government is taking the wrong approach to home security and are calling for new housing regulations to ensure the use of stronger doors, windows and glass.
Fairco’s Composite doors provide an attractive and effective solution for residential properties. The range of styles include solid panel and part glazed options to mirror traditional designs and we offer a wide range of minimum and maximum sizes.
- Our composite door sets have a robust aluminium sub-frame and rigid polyurethane injected core ensuring substantial resistance to intruders.
- Additionally the doors have a patent pending glazing system with unparalleled protection.
- Double rebate feature means our doors are fully sealed for better protection against water penetration and an improved weather and acoustic performance compared to single rebate doors.
- Using uPVC, GRP and aluminium, our door sets contain no wood and will not bow, warp, crack, swell or shrink.
- Security hinge claws and deadlocks combined with shootbolt mechanism dramatically improve the resistance to unlawful entry.
- Fairco doors are internally beaded and have been tested to meet or exceed BS7950 and BBA Enhanced Resistance to intrusion security standards.